2012/1/9 Jay Caplan <uniqueprodu...@comcast.net>

>  Oil products still necessary for transportation/internal combustion
> engines. Cold fusion is a heat source only, can't efficiently be used in
> transportation, outside of large ships' steam plants.
>
> What, back to steam engine cars and trucks?

yes, but with hybrid...

let's imagine a Toyota Prius, with :
- a smaller battery, with just 15 minute autonomy at full speed
- a LENR reactor
- a stirling engine, or a turbine.

stirling engine can be small, yet today they are not very efficient.
turbine are more efficient, but I don't know it they can be downsized to
50-80kW mechanic to challenge a prius.

probably today, for 50-100kW, turbines works better. efficiency should be
like with CHP, from 10 to 20%, implying ~500kW reactor, thus
using defkalion hyperion numbers : 100 cores, 1kG nickel, few 100g H2.
it can look hard compared to todays size of Hyperion or e-cat, but you can
expect engineers to work on the size factor, like they have worked
for cars. I imagine for exemple an engine with 10x10 grid of small
cynlindric reactors carved in metal, with pipes (coolant, H2) and resistor
like you find in diesel engines.
the coolant transfer heat to a heat exchanger producing superheated steam
(water or high efficiency fluid), feeding a turbine, and cooled in a
classic radiator.
turbine run an alternator/engine connected to the gear box then the
wheels.(parallel hybrid)
electronic manage energy transfer between the electric engine and the
battery, sometime charging in alternator mode, sometime discharging in
engine mode (I think that prius already works that way).

of course, high component and thermal density will be a problem
H2 sealing,  and crash safety will be a problem, more complex than the ones
Defkalion have treated.

but it is the kind of problem that motor engineer can solve.