The Rossi technology contained some very interesting and potentially useful
trade secrets that may be well employed in the Lftr. One of them is the
very low cost enrichment of nickel favoring Ni62 an Ni64.

Previously, I have posted how tubercles can be produced using chemical
processes.

As a adjunst to these chemical processes, I believe that Rossi is using the
Soret effect to enrich the heavy isotopes of nickel when he formulates
nickel oxide powder from pure nickel nano-powder.

Background:

Thermophoresis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermophoresis

*[quote]Thermophoresis, thermodiffusion, or Soret effect (or Ludwig-Soret
effect), is a phenomenon observed when a mixture of two or more types of
motile particles (particles able to move) are subjected to the force of a
temperature gradient and the different types of particles respond to it
differently. The term "Sorét effect" normally means thermophoresis in
liquids only. The term "thermophoresis" is most often intended to mean the
behavior in aerosols,not liquids, but the broader meaning is also common.
The mechanisms of thermophoresis in liquid mixtures differ from those in
gas mixtures, and are generally not as well understood.*

* *

*The phenomenon is observed at the scale of one millimeter or less. An
example that may be observed by the naked eye with good lighting is when
the hot rod of an electric heater is surrounded by tobacco smoke: the smoke
goes away from the immediate vicinity of the hot rod. As the small
particles of air nearest the hot rod are heated, they create a fast flow
away from the rod, down the temperature gradient. They have acquired higher
kinetic energy with their higher temperature. When they collide with the
large, slower-moving particles of the tobacco smoke they push the latter
away from the rod. The force that has pushed the smoke particles away from
the rod is an example of a thermophoretic force. *

*For illustration see aerosols.wustl.edu.[/quote]*

How this applies to the formation of nickel oxide nano-powder

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1102/1102.3840.pdf

FORMATION AND RUPTURE OF THE NANOSIZED METAL FILAMENT INSIDE OXIDE MATRIX

*[quote]The present of the strong temperature gradients can results to
temperature gradient-driven diffusion (thermomigration). Thermomigration in
solid is small and therefore one is usually can be neglected as compared to
concentration diffusion. In a heat flow transient induced by electrical
discharge, however, temperature gradient is order to 108C/cm and thermal
diffusion contribution cannot be excluded, especially in melt state of the
oxide. If a homogeneous binary compound is placed in a temperature
gradient, a redistribution of the constituents can occur with one
constituent migrating to the cold end of the specimen and other to the hot
end. This phenomenon is called Soret effect.*

* *

*The direction of the migration and values of the mass flows is defined by
the transport heat f of the diffusing ions Q*. The values of the Q*’s for
Ni and O thermomigration in NiO are unknown. However, we can use the
approaches which were developed for liquid conductive compounds. Indeed, in
this theory assuming that the liquid is a dense gas and applying the
thermo-transport theory in binary gas mixtures the direction of the
diffusion is determined primarily by the mass differences, the lighter
component migrates to the warmer end and the heavy component to cold end. *

* *

*With this in mind, we can assume that the Ni ions migrate towards the hot
region, whereas the O ions diffuse to periphery of the melt region. As a
consequence, a temperature gradient drives the establishment of
concentration gradients. In the stationary state this concentration
gradient depends on the boundary conditions. As melt region are closed for
the exchange of oxygen with the surrounding gas phase, process end up with
zero atom fluxes, defining the so-called Soret state with Ni rich region in
center of the melt. *

* *

* *

*The data given on Fig.3 confirm an opportunity of an establishment of the
Soret state at high temperature stage of the forming. The presented dates
are SIMS images of the O and Ni distribution near NiO-Pt interfaces for
initial oxide structure and after forming. We can see that only O diffuses
away from local nonhomogeneous regions of the NiO during forming. Assuming
that these local regions have highest conductivity and, as consequence,
high temperature due to Joule hitting the atoms redistribution can be
defined by thermomigration and Soret state establishment. [/quote] *

* *