I think that Rossi coats micro particles of nickel he buys commercial off
the shelf.

During the secret particle resurfacing process of these micro particles, he
uses nickel enriched in heavy isotopes in a very thin nano-sized low
quantity surface cover.

Even through the ratio of heavy nickel isotopes will be low in the bulk of
the nickel powder as a whole,  the heavy isotopes will be in a critical
location: on the particles surface where the NiH reaction is most probable.

The fusion reaction will occur to a depth into the micro particle
defined by the penetration depth of the reaction proton pair.

On the whole, the enrichment of nickel may be very low or even non
detectable in an post run isotopic survey.

I speculate that the cross section of proton tunneling into nickel is
increased with the proportion of heavy neutron rich nickel isotopes. It’s a
probability thing.

Reaction performance is increased in the neutron rich heavy nickel
isotopes, but the reaction still occurs in light nickel but at a lowered
cross section.
Kim gives us this prediction of how the post isotopic analysis will go
assuming a proton pair based fusion reaction as follows.

Focardi and Rossi [6] reported that the experimental results of Rossi et
al. indicate the production of stable isotopes 63Cu and 65Cu with an
isotopic ratio of 63Cu /65Cu ~ 1.6 (natural abundance is 63Cu/ 65Cu =
2.24). This production of Cu may be due to reactions (i). The production of
63Cu and 65Cu with isotopic ratio of 63Cu /65Cu different from the natural
isotopic ratio is expected and can be explained by estimating the reaction
rates for 62Ni(2p(S=0), p)63Cu and 64Ni(2p(S=0), p)65Cu. Reaction rates
estimates based on transmission probability calculated from a barrier
tunneling model similar to the alpha-decay theory indicate that the
reaction rates for stable Cu productions, 62Ni(2p(S=0), p)63Cu and
64Ni(2p(S=0), p)65Cu, are expected to be Purdue Nuclear and Many Body
Theory Group (PNMBTG) Preprint PNMBTG-6-2011 (June 2011) 3 much larger than
the reaction rates for production of radioactive Cu,

58Ni(2p(S=0), p)59Cu and 60Ni(2p(S=0), p)61Cu. This leads to the prediction
that intensities of the gamma-rays from the decays of 59Cu and 61Cu are
expected to be weak and do not commensurate with the observed heat
production, which is mostly from stable Cu production reactions
62Ni(2p(S=0), p)63Cu and 64Ni(2p(S=0), p)65Cu.

There are other exit reaction channels which are (nearly) radiation-less,
such as reactions (ii)
ANi(2p(S=0), α)A-2Ni, (even A=58, 60, 62, and 64) [9]. For this case, we
expect that the natural isotopic ratio of Ni isotopes will be changed in a
particular way, which can be checked from the sample after each experiment.
Even though reactions (ii) produce radioactive isotope 56Ni, it can be
shown using the alpha-decay theory that its reaction rate is much slower
(by many order of magnitudes) than those of other reactions.

Other exit reaction channels,

ANi(2p(S=0), d)ACu, ANi(2p(S=0), 3He)A-1Ni, and ANi(2p(S=0), t)A-1Cu (all
with even A=58, 60, 62, and 64) are ruled out since these reactions all
have negative Q-values. There are possibilities of neutron-emission exit
reaction channels, such as reactions (iii) ANi(2p(S=0), n)A+1Zn, (even A=
62, and 64; Q is negative for A = 58 and 60). However, reaction rates for
reactions (iii) are expected be substantially smaller than those for
reaction (i). Reactions (iii) involve emission of a tightly bound neutron
(62Ni → 61Ni + n, Q = -10.597MeV or 64Ni → 63Ni + n, Q = -9.657MeV) while
reactions (i) involve emission of a loosely bound proton from an excited
compound nuclear state consisting of ANi (even A) and 2p(S=0). Therefore,
the transmission probability of a neutron tunneling through the centrifugal
barrier in reactions (iii) is expected to be substantially smaller than
that of a proton tunneling through the centrifugal barrier in reactions
(i).

The branching ratios of reactions (i) and (ii) need to be determined by
measurements of gamma-ray energies and changes in isotopic ratios from
future Ross-type experiments. Theoretically, the branching ratios can be
estimated by calculating transmission probability of an emitted charged
particle tunneling through both Coulomb and centrifugal barriers in the
exit reaction channel, as done in the alpha-decay theory.

III. Other Possible Reactions

In addition to the above reactions described in II, there are possibilities
of reactions involving additives used (not disclosed so far). For an
example, if lithium is added as an additive, reaction (iv)