Sorry, please excuse me; I was thinking about the Triple alpha process:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z0IPWmm7GDc

With Carbon 12 => Boron 11 (5 protons and 6 neutrons) with a proton emission

The net positive charge of the gas from proton emmision causes the back
current as seen coming comin from the electrodes as the gas contracts.

Cheers:   Axil