Hi,
[snip]

>I think that it is symmetrical.  If you begin outside of the nucleus and enter
>energy is released.  If you then reclaim that same amount of energy back to
>the nucleus and allow the proton to exit, you will be at the same condition as
>you started.  The net round trip yields a balanced condition with no net
>energy transferred.
[snip]
This is just a restatement of the conservation of energy. The very fact that you
need to supply energy to the nucleus in order to prize a particle free proves
that the barrier is not symmetrical.

...make that "prise a particle free" (That's what I had originally, but my spell
checker didn't like it.)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk