OK I will be serious.  I AM SERIOUS - we are birthing maintaining and
evaporating micro black holes.  Not really a big deal because nature does
it all the time.  I just did not realize until recently and I think they
are everywhere.

Sorry, lack of sleep.  Brian Ahern on CMNS did not like my humor either but
did not openly disagree (yet) with my theory.

I am not sure if the guys are collapsing H2, H+, or H- in those voids or
the crosshair of that Papp engine (which I believe is Helium Ions).  I
believe my theory might work for all three and just about any matter given
enough oomph.  A singularity can carry a charge just like any other atomic
structure.  Based upon LHC collision studies, the higher the kinetic energy
at time of collision the greater the chance of collapse.  Throw in quantum
gravity aiding you along with the hoop effect of a void or possible
magnetic field squashing you at the same time and poof! singularity.  I am
also thinking aligning all off those ions with the coil in the Papp engine
makes them sometimes bounce off each other like pool balls with an additive
effect on velocity & energy.

Any upset in their thermodynamic balance or location in space should give
them a fit and trigger the gremlin.