At 11:04 AM 12/28/2012, David Roberson wrote:
I do not think that the photon goes at a speed less than light speed for any observer. From a far off observer it just appears to be red shifted from its beginning point. I guess you might say that from our far off point of view, it never had any extra energy in the first place because we never saw any extra. The same is true for everyone as you say so perhaps my idea is not possible.

This is correct. If the photon originates from at or inside the event horizon, under some definitions, it cannot escape to the outside, so red shift is irrelevant. These explanations say that every path from the originating point leads closer to the singularity, no path takes the photon -- even for a moment, away from the singularity. There are no "outward bound" light paths.

The explanation that make an analogy with escape velocity leads to a different picture, and perhaps that is why they are deprecated.

From outside the event horizon, the photon will be red-shifted, depending on how far outside. The red shift will increase with distance, but the rate of increase will decrease with distance.

A red-shifted photon has originated from outside the event horizon. If oriented directly outbound, it will continue on that path forever, at the speed of light.