Actually, no, my theory is still that the mass for the kinetic energy
weapon we saw over Russia was of non-terrestrial origin and this is
consistent with Pike's claim that launch costs for "God's Rods" are too
high.

The economics of space-based civil engineering and industrialization, such
as solar power satellites, have been known to be launch cost limited since
the early 70s.  The solution was also worked out then:  use non-terrestrial
materials.

During the subsequent energy crisis under Carter and then on to the Reagan
administration there were multiple studies of solar power satellites that
proceeded to proclaim them uneconomic for the same reason that Pike
declared "God's Rods" uneconomic:  launch costs.  However, every one of
these "studies" failed to provide any damning critique of the studies that
had shown non-terrestrial materials was an economic end-run.  Why the
persistent stupidity in the face of obvious needs for energy and, more
generally, environmental pressures on the biosphere of an expanding
technological civilization.

Certainly, we may invoke stupidity as adequate explanation.  On the other
hand they may have been "dumb like a fox" during a period when Reagan's
"Star Wars" project was investing huge amounts of money in space-based
weapons systems.

It is worth noting that during "Star Wars" I was working a the company most
likely to be involved in the development of space-based kinetic energy
weapons:  Science Applications International Corporation.  I frequently
received in my mail box there mail addressed to the prior occupant of my
office, Peter
Vajk<http://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-been-cancelled-Peter-Vajk/dp/0915238241>.
 Click through his name for a delightful coincidence.