Joseph wrote:

"Based on context, I'm going to assume that what you mean by "screening" is
really "blasting nuclei with massively powered lasers". If that's not what
you mean, then you still need to explain to me what you mean by screening."

In the referenced I sited for you, the dissertation by Cort´es  states:

“Lifetimes and α-particle emission spectra are investigated for a number of
α-emitting nuclei. We find that even at strong intensities, the
laser-induced acceleration of the α decay is negligible, ranging from a
relative modification in the decay rate of 10−3 for static fields of
electric field strengths of 10^^15 V/m, to 10−8 for strong optical fields
with intensities of 1022 W/cm2, and to 10−6 for strong x-ray fields with
laser intensities around 10^^24 W/cm2.”

So it is not laser light alone. When laser light is amplified, compressed
and concentrated by nanoantennas by a factor of 10 to the 9 power for gold
(reference has been provided) that is when the EMF is strong enough to be
reactive.

It is not just the EMF, but the sub-atomic quasiparticle formed from the
combination of light and electrons called a* poloriton *that carries the
electric negative charge that is concentrated is a sub-nanometer volume
called a NAE.
See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric-field_screening

for a description of *coulomb barrier screening*.