On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  As Miles showed in Table 10, if the person doing the experiment is
>>> skilled, the success rate varies from zero to 100% depending on the
>>> material.
>>>

>> Really? You need skill to get a success rate from 0 to 100%?
>>

> You need skill to get any excess heat at all.

So you mean > 0%, not 0 to 100%.

Because who wants clean abundant energy? Who wants to save the world? Who
>> wants honor glory fame. No one wants that!
>>

> That is not the reward for doing cold fusion,

That's because so far those doing it haven't convinced the mainstream that
it works. But you were talking about commercial levels of power, remember.
That would make it unambiguous and completely convincing. If *that* were
true, then those would be the rewards. No one would shut down the research
if they believed those levels were achievable.

> or anything else that upsets mainstream institutions.

Maybe, but why would mainstream institutions be upset by working on cold
fusion if they thought it worked? Do they hate clean abundant energy? Do
they hate honor glory and fame?

> As I mentioned, what happens is a funding agency in Washington calls you
> and threatens to close your lab;

Again, what do they hate about cold fusion. Washington especially stands to
benefit enormously from cold fusion; strategically, economically, and
environmentally. There is simply no downside from Washington's point of
view. So if they want to shut it down, it's because they don't believe the
results.

> the Washington Post, Time Magazine and the New Scientist accuse you of
> being a lunatic and a criminal, destroying your career and your personal
> life.

Same question for them. Do they hate clean and abundant energy? In 1989,
for a brief time all the journals were singing about the benefits of cold
fusion. Clearly they would love it to be true. It means that the results
are not convincing anyone that matters.

> Martin Fleischmann predicted this would happen on the day of the press
> conference.

Do you have some evidence for this, because that certainly didn't seem to
be his attitude in the various interviews, where he was beaming with pride.

> He was not surprised by the reaction.

So he said later. Do you have any evidence he said it at the time?

> Anyone who has studied history will not be surprised. This is real life,
> not a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie.
>
> Charles Beaudette quoted Fleischmann and summarized the situation at the
> end of his book,

This was retrospective rationalization. Where is the evidence he predicted
this reaction on the day of?

> Is this not similar to the response of the Swedish chemist Svente
> Arrhenius with his discovery of the mechanism of electrolytic conduction
> more than one hundred years ago? He believed he was right and he persevered
> for twenty years before receiving the recognition that was his due.

Total, unadulterated nonsense. Talk about making stuff up. I don't know if
you're quoting here or if this is your comment, but it's wrong.

I admit, my source does not go beyond wikipedia, but according to it,
Arrhenius's controversial ideas were presented in his doctoral thesis.
While there were local skeptics, his degree was granted, and when the
dissertation was sent to other European scholars, they came to Sweden
trying to recruit him. Doesn't really sound much like cold fusion, does it?

The Swedish Academy then awarded him a grant to study with the likes of
Boltzmann and van 't Hoff. That doesn't sound like persevering to get
recognition. A few years after his graduation, he was *given* an
appointment at the Stockholm university, and was a full professor/chair
(rector) about a decade after his PhD. That doesn't sound much like
rejection to me.

It did take almost 20 years to recognize his work with a Nobel prize, but
maybe the fact that the prize was not initiated until about 17 years after
had something to do with that. He got the 3rd one in chemistry. He was on
the Nobel committee from the beginning until his death.