Nickel nano-particles are superparamagnetic. They interact with dipole
vibration. This may be the reason why nickel nanostructures are important
in the nanoplasmonic causation of LENR.

 *

Magnetic relaxation of a system of superparamagnetic particles weakly
coupled by dipole-dipole interactions

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1109/1109.4294.pdf
*