Harry, calculations are useless in this case because the mechanism is unknown to which the calculations can be applied. We know that the mechanism for fusion and transmutation must be the same, which means they both must occur in the same NAE. I can describe a process that fits this requirement, but not here.

As a basic fact, the barrier can be either lowered by intervention of negative charge or overcome by sufficient energy. Regardless of which method is used, the energy resulting from transmutation must be dissipated gradually before the final isotope is formed. Otherwise, a strong gamma must be emitted to conserve momentum. In addition, the method used to get over the barrier will be more difficult than required for fusion, as you pointed out. So, something very unique is required. I find that use of extra energy from fusion is a more logical method than assembly of the required large negative charge. Do you agree?

Ed Storms