On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>   Then they have not considered the obvious. Unless there is fraud at the
>> felony level, then Rossi has probably discovered something valid, and
>> incredibly important to Society
>>

> It's the implications that get people caught up in the conspiracy
> theories. The implications are too much for people to handle.

I disagree. The implications of cold fusion are what got the world in a
tizzy in 1989. Everyone, including many (if not most) scientists were
prepared to embrace cold fusion *because* of the implications. Thousands of
scientists cheered and experimented, and wanted the revolution to be true,
and wanted to be part of it. It was the failure of the claims to stand up
to scrutiny that caused skepticism.

And I think you use the term "conspiracy theory" incorrectly. In the case
of the ecat, it's really a just run-of-the-mill deception on the scale of
John Ernst Worrell Keely (whose lab was full of concealed tricks) or Papp
or Stoern or Madison Priest (who ran a secret cable across a river) or
countless others, and on a rather smaller scale than Bre-X or Madoff. A
conspiracy theory, as I usually see it used, refers to a far more
comprehensive plot involving the complicity of an entire segment of
society, like the alleged AGW conspiracy or the alleged cold fusion
suppression conspiracy, both of which would require complicity of nearly
all of academia. The ecat involves Rossi and maybe a few accomplices. That
ain't no conspiracy in my books.

> They make it hard to give objective, reasonable consideration to fairly
> mundane experiments and to apply Occam's razor to the evidence.  The most
> reasonable explanation is not that there was wire fake or massive output
> over-calculation or fraud or sloppy, incompetent scientists.  These are all
> possibilities, one presumes, but to a fair-minded observer, the most likely
> explanation at this point is that there's could be some new science to be
> worked out.

That's not the opinion of the majority of observers of the case. Deception
on this scale -- frauds and scams -- are utterly common. Scientific
revolutions like this are very rare, especially from someone like Rossi.

So, Occam's razor here favors deception as the explanation.

Perhaps there was some sloppiness.  Or perhaps the details we've been glued
> to are the kinds of flaw that normal scientists introduce in the course of
> normal scientific work and that are normally addressed behind
> the scenes during peer review.  I'm sure there are many papers uploaded to
> ArXiv that suffer from defects, and those flaws are gradually ironed out
> over the course of peer review.  This paper is different, since there is a
> whole industry of Rossi watchers waiting to pounce on it.  Let's be fair.
>  How many papers subjected to this kind of scathing attention, out in the
> open?

The monitoring of the input was comically inadequate, if there is any
possibility of deception, the blank run used a different power regimen, the
claims of power density 100 times that of nuclear fuel without cooling and
without melting are totally implausible, the lack of calorimetry is
completely inexplicable. This is not some sloppiness. This is far below
ordinary scientific standards, particularly for a claim like this.

And all of this is assuming you accept their word. The biggest difference
between this paper and most scientific literature, is that no one can check
the claims. Claims of this importance will not be accepted if they can't be
tested, no matter how distinguished the 7 authors are, and they're not very.

The idea that an energy density of MJ/g or higher in a small-scale
experiment, with a COP of 3 or higher, and hundreds of watts can't be
demonstrated in a way that leaves no opportunity for the sort of objections
being raised is simply too far-fetched for most scientists to accept.

First, the fact that this *source* of energy thousands of times more dense
than chemical has to be plugged in (to a high power line, no less) will
turn most observers away. But even if it really does need to add power,
then they could use some source of finite input power, and use the output
to do some really visual amount of work or heating, and do it in a neutral
location. Most scientists, I expect, believe that a completely unequivocal
demonstration of claims of Rossi's magnitude would be a trivial thing to
stage, and would bear no resemblance to the farce that we are seeing.

So, once again, Occam's razor favors deception or incompetence.

> The potential downstream consequences drive smart people bonkers.  They
> lose their cool and put in place requirements to which they would never
> hold the establishment of another empirical phenomenon such as
> superconductivity or cloning.

That's manifestly wrong, as was shown in 1989. The potential downstream
consequences are the reason cold fusion was given the hearing it received.
People really do like the idea of clean and abundant energy. This is
especially true of the government, who would benefit strategically,
economically, and environmentally. But it is true of nearly everyone else
as well. That's why nuclear energy and fusion were so heavily promoted.
Both fission and fusion promised cheap and abundant energy and in the case
of fusion, clean as well. They did not live up to their promises, alas, but
they show that the potential downstream consequences *did* *not* drive
people bonkers, but resulted in massive funding and support. Your argument
does not have a leg to stand on.

> They will not suffer a revolution in physics through a demonstration that
> is less than flawless.  I doubt they can be persuaded out of this demand.

They would not suffer as 1989 proved, but yes, an unequivocal demonstration
is needed. The thing true believers can't get their minds around is that
such a demonstration would not be difficult if the claims were true.

> I think it is a tactical error on our part to assume that they can be.  So
> either a higher bar must be cleared in the case of LENR or Rossi or one of
> the other entrepreneurs will need to succeed in the market.

The bar is determined by the likelihood of the claims and the likelihood of
alternative explanations, and it's determined the same way for all
phenomena. In the cheese video, it doesn't matter if you don't understand
the trick, anyone will be almost certain there is a trick because cheese
power is too extraordinary. If (as he has argued) he replaced the cheese
with some sort of alpha emitter, people might have less confidence that a
trick was involved.  Likewise, if one holds the view that cold fusion is as
extraordinary as cheese power, then the likelihood of some other
explanation is increased.