Of course the calorimeter can measure sunlight.  Basically, if the light
doesn't escape from the calorimeter, it was converted to heat and measured,
probably quite accurately.  The only question is whether the soft x-rays
escaped.  However, if Mills plans to capture these in silicon, then they
would also have been measured by the calorimeter.  To escape the
calorimeter would require high energy x-rays and a lot of these would also
have been measured to a lesser efficiency.

Bob Higgins