ChemE Stewart <cheme...@gmail.com> wrote:

There are only "experts who understand what they are doing"

> I would have more confidence if they could get the weather right more
> often, which includes temperature and precipitation

That is a completely separate discipline, based on different data and
principles. What you are demanding is very closely comparable to saying
that a life insurance actuarial department should be able to tell you
exactly how long you will live. Yes, both medicine and actuarial tables are
based on deep knowledge of physiology, disease, the effects of environment
and so on, but only a doctor can make a prediction for a specific person
(analogous to a weather report), and only an actuarial expert can predict
how long a group of people is likely to live on average (analogous to long
term global climate predictions). Actuarial experts do their job well
enough to keep life insurance companies highly profitable, so obviously
they know what they are doing, even though they could not do it for one
individual.