Jed, you missed my point entirely.  I was not equating weather measurement and
prediction to climate change prediction.  Perhaps I was not clear enough within
my discussion.  I merely pointed out that the divergence of accurate results
happens relatively rapidly in both of these different types of systems.
Weather forecasting appears to diverge from accurate prediction in a matter of
days whereas the climate errors take years to accumulate.  Compare this
behavior to what happens with a well defined polynomial curve which is accurate
for essentially all values even when you stretch the time frame far into the
future.

If the polynomial function is known then it is possible to begin with a small
set of input/output data and project those values without increasing error.
Climate models are not showing that behavior to anything but a short time
period.  Are you ignoring the latest information that now the climatologists
have decided that there is a 30 year cycle associated with Atlantic currents?
Surely that same effect has been modifying the earlier data.  Why was it not
taken into account at that time?  Why do the modelers now say that the present
pause in temperature rise might last until 2025?  Do you not consider this to
be a new input?  I realize that you have argued for a long time that there is
no pause, but apparently the guys studying the models disagree with your
assessment.  What will be the next major surprise and when will it appear?

It amazes me to read that you feel that it is not important to expect the
climate models to conform to reality.  How else can one judge their accuracy?
Perhaps many such as yourself have concluded that global warming is man made
and real so forget the models because they are not trustworthy.  I can not make
that step into uncertainty when the stakes are so high.  If we base our
response upon a known bad system then we are going to make major mistakes in
judgement.  What if the pause becomes a steady temperature decline in the next
few years?  Do we remain on the same path regardless of the measurements since
the models indicate otherwise?  That does not constitute good science and you
have been arguing against that type of reasoning forever with regard to LENR.

I wonder how man made climate change proponents can so easily dismiss water
vapor as the most important influence?  Clouds show their ability to modify
local temperature just about every day and to a very large extent.  When it
rains the temperature drops about 20 degrees around here.  Of course there are
various reasons for the change but the overall measurement is dramatic and much
greater than anything expected as the carbon dioxide increases into the future.

The reason that water vapor is left out of the debate as far as I can determine
is that nothing can be directly done to modify it by mankind.  The modelers
appear to realize that water is the key, but they only include affects that
their models suggest that carbon dioxide and other gases do to modify waters
dominate behavior.  And worse than that is the fact that they assign a
multiplier with positive feedback to this coupling as part of a curve fitting
process.  The latest pause strongly suggests that the system is not working
like they previously thought.

Jed, you should be showing why we should trust the experts that you refer to
instead of attacking those of us with a skeptical view of their progress.
After all, many of them now admit that a new major problem exists in their
models that could result in long term inaccurate prediction of the temperature
rise.   How should we read confidence into a statement that the pause might
well last another 11 years?  Do they mean 5 years, or could it be 30 years,
forever, etc?  Do you ever question experts?  An open minded individual such as
yourself must look at the latest facts on occasion.

I do in fact reserve the right to demand that these guys get their predictions
into order if we are to use those same predictions to generate policies that
impact our lives.  If they can not perform that function in a reasonable and
accurate manner, then they should refrain from offering their advice to
politicians.  That is just common sense.

I suppose I was expecting a debate on those facts instead of reference to
experts that are not required to generate accurate predictions.  It is also
clear that global warming is one of those issues that encourages people to
choose sides.  Little can be gained in discussing such a polarizing topic and I
get little pleasure out of endless misunderstandings.  Perhaps we should wait
those next 11 years of likely pause and take up the issue again.

Dave