On 27/08/2014 12:43 AM, Nigel Dyer wrote:
This summer I read "On the Origin of the Species" from cover to cover for the first time. I had not realised what a truely remarkable book it is. It covers the dogs/wolves question in great detail.
I bought a copy but still haven't got around to reading it. Knowing that Darwin knew nothing of genetics, I have trouble in getting excited about anything he might have to say on the subject - which is why I haven't read it yet. But on your recommendation maybe I should.

In some respects my day job could be described as being an evolutionary geneticist, and it is remarkable how much of the detail of what I work on was predicted in Darwins book. He describes in great detail the general principles of evolution, which are backed up by the DNA sequences that I work on.
For quite a while I have wanted to ask someone working in your field about what DNA has to say about evolution of species so maybe now is a good time.

I have almost no doubt that physical life on this planet has evolved from a very simple looking self-replicating organism into the plethora of life forms which past and present have occupied it. But the mechanism by which this process occurs is still a complete mystery to me. I am totally convinced (from the maths) that random processes cannot by any means produce the complex folding proteins that are needed for life - so the question is how did they arise? Is it possible that the first life form (that as a minimum must have been implanted on this planet) could have contained in some condensed form sufficient information and machinery to evolve into all the life forms that have occurred? Or is it necessary that some additional injection or meddling was necessary along the way?

For instance, as I understand it, the frog was one of the first creatures to invade the land from the sea and all land vertebrates evolved from the frog. So one question would be, is there sufficient information in the DNA of a frog, to have the potential of developing (by pre-designed but natural means) into all the land animals that have occurred (and of course the sea mammals)? Or is it necessary to postulate some other source of DNA information which needs to be added to the limited information available in frog DNA?

So my question is really this:- From your knowledge of the DNA content of various life forms (and assuming the so-called "junk" DNA between gene coding regions actually contains useful information for possible future evolution), is there sufficient information in the DNA of simpler looking life forms to allow them to evolve into the more complex types, or does information need to be added?

Interestingly, Darwin discusses how if you specifically breed for variation in a specific characteristic (his example is pigieon beak length) then this shows greater variablity in future variations. He also discusses how some things show a remarkable fixedness over vast periods of time. This suggests the possibility that evolution may proceed in fits and starts: puncutated equilibrium, and yet he then talks very much in terms of gradual and continuous evolution, which has become taken as the defining feature of Darwinian evolution. Punctuated equilibrium is seen as somethiong of a heresy.

I have always felt that punctuated equilibrium was far more consistent with the evidence, both fossil records and from DNA, and I strongly suspect that it is associated with the DNA rearrangements that occur occasionally (I have been looking at a virus sequence where a section of the sequence has become inverted).
Yes you are right. Punctuated equilibrium (ie sudden and relatively large changes) does match the evidence. I am not aware of any radically new physical features that can be shown to have developed gradually over time. If sufficient information was included in the original protoplasmic life form, then it is easy to imagine how accumulated adaptation could be designed to trigger a new physical feature to suddenly appear, fully formed and functional, just when where and when it is needed!

There was also a recent paper that shows that one of the differences between the hooded crow and the black crow, which can interbreed so is arguably a single species, is an inversion of part of the DNA sequence. This will have occurred with one individual (a punctuation of the equilibrium), and has subsequently allowed the two crow races to drift away from each other, potentially leading ultimately to two species.