Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your erudite and interesting answers. However I don't think you really answered the question I was interested in because you are so saturated with the current paradigm. I sense from your answer that you are happy with the idea that given an *actually* simple (in comparison to later more complex) self-replicating life form, random mutations and selection is sufficient to generate all life as we know it. I don't wish to argue against that view, even though for myself I find it impossible to believe.

If you could momentarily put aside the current paradigm and consider the possibility that we have been visited by aliens who although evolving completely independently on another planet have, incredibly as it may seem, ended up with compatible DNA to our own - so that a case of hybrid sexual intercourse such as Antonio Vilas Boas <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B4nio_Vilas_Boas> case could occur. The implications to evolution of this type of case being true are I think quite revolutionary. It means for instance that the final human DNA outcome from the whole evolution process must be completely determined from the very beginning!!!

I really don't want to hear arguments about how this is impossible and the Vilas Boas case must be fake - I appreciate them fully. What I would like is if you could withhold disbelief sufficiently to consider whether there you can see an argument from within your field of evolutionary genetics? For instance, is it possible that there is sufficient information programmed into the simplest life forms (or at least the ones that unfolded into the forms of life that finally resulted in us) to at least allow, if not ensure, that the final result would be human?

Also I wonder what is the current guess at the first (and ongoingly successful) animal to emerge from the sea? I saw some large carnivore types that were proposed - but how would they live on land without other animals to eat? And if they had to go back into the sea to eat (which is their main daily and lifelong task) why not simply stay there. I think it would need to be an animal that could live well on land plants and/or insects (which I believe long preceded the vertebrates).

John