From: Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, Oct 14, 2014 11:15 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Engineering and materials issues with high temperature
hot-cat Lugano demo

Robert, I think a lot of your observations are spot on.  I would like to
continue discussion of the likely construction of the latest IH hotCat.  You
are likely correct that the corrosion of liquid and vapor phase lithium would
be terrible for use of a metal reactor vessel.  That is probably why they
switched to alumina.

Alumina is a wonderful ceramic from a thermal, mechanical, and electrical
properties standpoint.  Its only drawback is that it has to be fired at a very
high temperature to form it, but Coors has been doing it for decades.  It is
high thermal conductivity, very low electrical conductivity (a good
dielectric), and extremely chemically stable.  It is mechanically tough, even
in thin wafers (it has been used as a substrate for hybrid electronic circuits
also for decades).

One thing that strikes me is that heater wires at this temperature have 2
related constraints:  a) they must be sealed away from oxygen, and b) there
must be a good way to remove the heat from the wire to prevent hot spots from
run-away temperature rise.  Regarding a) - long before these wires melt, they
will oxidize and burn up in oxygen.  Usually this means that the wires must be
sealed inside a ceramic oxide to prevent exposing the hot metal heater wire to
free oxygen.  For b), it is necessary to spread the heat from the wire.  This
is usually done by bonding the wire to another ceramic body, usually with a
refractory cement.

Now lets consider the issue of using a refractory cement to bond the heater
wire to the inside of a ceramic tube.  You would need to have the coils
pre-formed and slipped inside such a tube and then paint them inside with the
refractory ceramic.  This would be very painful.  Instead, I imagine a central
alumina tube with the heater wires wrapped on its outside.  This could then be
painted with a refractory cement to seal out the oxygen and help thermally
spread the wire's heat over the ceramic tube.

Normally such refractory cements have an organic binder that dries in air at
room temperature.  They also contain both low temperature glass and ceramic
fibers.  As the cement is heated, it would first drive off any organic.  Then
the glass melts and further binds the joint.  Then as temperature gets hotter
the glass wicks into the ceramic fiber and a glass-ceramic hybrid is formed.
The joint can be air tight at basically all temperatures until the ceramic
itself melts.

Also, because we are talking about 3-phase coils, there will be cross-overs of
the wire that must be brought out to the ends of the reactor.  These will have
to be very carefully managed so as not to short.  This is another practical
reason why I believe the coils must be created wound on the outside of an
alumina tube; that tube being coaxially internal to the alumina tube that is
visible on the outside.  Probably after a first heating of the coil (either
self-heating or having been placed in a curing furnace), the inner alumina tube
with the wrapped coils could be coated with a similar refractory cement and
slipped (glued) inside the outer tube.  Imperfect cement contact between the
inner and outer alumina tubes could cause the appearance of uneven heating on
the outside tube.

Another point has to do with how the heat is conveyed from a LENR reaction.
Since the LENR reaction is likely a nano-scale event, heat must be conveyed
from the reaction in a way that doesn't make the NAE the hottest spot.
Otherwise, none of the reported melt-downs would be possible - the NAE would
evaporate itself before it could create enough heat to melt the macro
apparatus.  This implies that the heat is conveyed from the NAE by photons -
not such high energy that they readily escape the reactor, but high enough that
it can penetrate through a mm or so of the surrounding materials (which could
be LENR powder), depositing heat as the photons are attenuated in penetration.
The important take-away is that the NAE cannot be the hottest spot - it must
heat its surroundings more than itself.  Given this, it is possible that the
heat from the LENR is being absorbed in the alumina in a distributed way,
causing the LENR powder to be largely the same temperature as the surrounding
ceramic.  I don't believe it is necessary or probable that the core must be
much higher temperature than the shell.

Can we refocus this thread into discussion about the construction of the latest
reactor?  For example:

Why do we think the end caps are so big?  Are they part of a lower temperature
insulated mounting system?
Why do we think the 3-phase drive is used?
What else?

Bob Higgins

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Robert Lynn <robert.gulliver.l...@gmail.com>