To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:26 PM
Subject: [Vo]:A new type of laser is born?

Dear Vortex-L,

Stimulated by Jones Beene's thoughts on a coherent lasing system based on a
Dynamical Casimir Effect (DCE) from his postings earlier today, I hope to
encourage further discussion along these lines of thought.

In reference to the characteristic morphology of the nickel ash grain
(particle 1, figure 2, page 43) that I described in this posting:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l%40eskimo.com/msg98350.html

I believe that the abundant 2-micron protrusions in the nickel ash represent dipole oscillators which have literally evolved from the initial nickel fuel
grain clusters during the startup and then operation of reactor.   These
oscillators form a coupled, complex, highly non-linear system that could be
described as a LENR-driven LASER analog, much like the SPASER systems that
are emerging in laboratories right now in the nanoscale, except these
structures are micron-scale.  One interesting paper which provides a
potential analog is:
     http://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.0422v3.pdf     ("Plasmon-mediated
superradiance near metal nanostructures")

It is my contention that the observed microstructures in the nickel ash
grain are _directly homologous_ to the Eigen-modes of this coherent system. I believe that Ni-Li neutron exchange reactions are being stimulated by SPP
and phonon interactions on the protruding structures, and are producing a
form of polychromatic superradiance such as that observed during reactions
involving Metastable Innershell Molecular States (MIMS, aka ballotechnics).
I suspect the energy gain comes from the vacuum during the LENR reaction,
which I currently picture as a high-velocity collision of Li-Ni-Li that
produces a MIMS reaction which also (hand-waving here) exchanges neutrons
between lithium and nickel. This emits only intense photon and phonon
energy, some of which couples back into the system to drive further
reactions, while the rest is thermalized in the reactor shell.

If this is true, then only the EMF stimulation is needed to control the
reactor via SPP pumping once a certain operating temperature threshold has
been reached by external heating.  Rossi could simplify his control by
separating these two functions of heating and EMF stimulation, I suspect.
This separation may be the primary function of the mouse/cat reactor
configuration, where the mouse emits primarily photons as the cat's
controlling input, once a minimum temperature is reached throughout the
system.

Using only EMF pumping to control the reaction would also greatly improve
the COP, which may be part of the reason why the systems that Rossi
demonstrates still have combined heating and RF control inputs.

I suspect that if you were to construct a good approximation of the nickel
ash grain morphology with natural nickel, combined it with lithium and large iron grains, and stimulated it with EMF while at a high enough temperature, that you would see this system become active and gainful. A high-resolution
3-d printer could do this, as could a plethora of extant micro-fabrication
techniques.  Then again, given that Rossi's systems evolve in-situ from
powdered fuel, why bother with fabricating machines? The main purpose I can
think of for a designed and manufactured fuel morphology would be to
optimize the potential for electrical output while minimizing thermal
output.

I hope these ideas are able to inspire further insights into this system.

-Bob Ellefson