utf-8 sounds good fwiw.  for swig, you can define your own functions quite eqsily to handle how conversions take place, so you can probably just define your own conversion function for strings? You only have to write the conversion function once, and they're generally quite short.

On the other hand if sometimes strings are utf-8 and sometimes they're not, it could get trickier... on the other hand since pure ascii maps exactle to utf-8 thats probably not an issue?

Easy to say if it's not me writing the wrappers :-)

btw, i broke my wrist rollerblading and i'm typing wiyh one hand which is why there are som any typos... the moral is: don't trust cheap chinese wrist-guards :-/

Hugh

On 9/9/05, Reed Hedges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 10:16:28AM -0400, Reed Hedges wrote:
> Then property just needs wstring methods I guess.

with conversion into utf8 to store in the std::string.