I hope to see things move along quickly too.  I also hope that the other
communities such as VOS see the benefits of working synergistically with
VRML/X3D.  Peter and Reed seem to be heading that way.  Ideas being carried
back and forth in an open spirit will ensure a real metaverse will come into
being whatever it turns out to be.  I think it takes a few generations but
eventually, we all get what we want.  Being from the generation of markup
technologists that were working prior to the web, I find the web very
satisfying in meeting the visions we had in the 70s and 80s, but also a
little scary in too many of the nightmares we predicted coming around.
Almost all of the bad stuff was predicted too; it turned out it couldn't be
stopped.  Mammal desires and fishbrain governance seem to be a permanent
fixture of the user base.  When I need to let the curmudgeon out, I blog at

lamammals.blogspot.com

But less frequently these days.

I think what Parisi has in mind combined with the Network Sensor node work
is important in making it possible for the current standalone spaces to be
linked up with less detailed knowledge of the network protocols.  A big
complaint is that mere mortals find this hard to do.  VRML was originally
aimed not so much at Snowcrash although some believed it to be as to making
it as easy to create 3D as to create HTML.  Even that is a little hosed
because graphics are harder to do in general.  By iteration, it has come
closer to the sweet spot where a bit of effort on the part of the author met
by a lot of effort on the part of the browser and language developers is
reaching more people.  A most important goal is to hang on to the values of
open accessibility for anyone who really wants to do it rather than land
locking it into POTS server farms.  Both models have their place, but only
the first one has an upfront guarantee of keeping the content IP separated
from the server-side IP.

Then I think the next step is exactly as you say: for the projects like VOS
which will require more sophisticated skills to produce more sophisticated
worlds just as the old gray HTML anchored pages have given way to the
CSS-enabled, Javascript/embedded object driven XML-connected Web 2.0.  This
is cool, but nothing a client-server couldn't do in 1990, just free of the
operating system platform so not landlocked.  Those are the spirals I've
seen over a long career; first a few and mystifyingly, then a lot and with
more reach and scale.

My positive contribution these days is to write tutorial pieces for young
kids just getting into this based on the technology they can afford:

3Donthewebcheap.blogspot.com

For guys my age, that is the best thing we can do:  hold a door open.  For
guys building VOS, the best thing to do is build the stairway on the other
side.  That is how it works generation after generation.  It's a nice way to
spend a career. It really is.

Must go back to lurk.  Men at work here.

Cheers,

len