I have been wondering about 3D user interfaces recently. We got the
desktop metaphor for 2D, but does this really serve the requirements
of a 3D space as well? I get the feeling that we might need something
different here; the bulk of interaction in 3D space is likely to be
different from shuffling papers around. Of course, as long as the 3D
client does not replace the desktop entirely, some degree of
integration is necessary - copy+paste as input enhancement is a good
example.

However this is not my field of expertise (anybody got good papers on
this subject?), so I can only speak from personal experience. The "3D
interface" I used lately was WoW, and I found it responsive enough.
Interestingly, while it has buttons that trigger actions, I mainly
used them as a quick way to arrange keyboard shortcuts during normal
gameplay. The only time I ever used the interface in a "traditional"
way was for complex actions like trading items. Actually this is
quite similar to my Blender experience - it drove me crazy when I had
to use the menus, but was a breeze once I knew the keyboard
shortcuts. Not sure if there is a lesson there...

Regards,
Karsten Otto