On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 01:33:22PM +0100, Karsten Otto wrote:

> > Also "metaobject" is
> > an existing term of art in the programming language community
> > having to
> > do with defining and manipulating the semantics of how programming
> > language objects are invoked, and while this is something that will
> > exist in VOS, the current "MetaObject" class isn't it.
> >
> Ok, I heared that term before, but am not quite sure what it means an
> certainly don't use it in day-to-day programming (maybe I'm just old-
> fashioned).

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?MetaObjectProtocol

It's not something people use in day-to-day programming (unless your job
involves Common Lisp or Smalltalk) but it is an entrenched term in the
object-oriented community, so I prefer to avoid the confusion.

> I understand your desire to avoid a clash of terms, but I don't think
> "Component" is a good replacement; in fact it may make things worse!
> If you absolutely have to rename it, I'd rather see one of the other
> fuzzy terms like Facet, Aspect, ...

Well, "Aspect" implies (to me) aspect-oriented programming.  "Facet" is
a possibility, although I've mainly encountered that in the capability
security community where it has a little bit different connotation (as a
possibly-restricted "view" or "handle" that mediates access to some
underlying object).

The most common use of term "component" is probably in the context of
COM, XPCOM, KParts and so forth type of systems where it simply implies
loosely-coupled objects, with separatation of interface and
implementation and often dynamicly loadable and language-neutral.  The
plan is for S5 VOS vobject MetaObjects to do all those things, hence
changing the name to "component".

On a side note, I have been meaning to sit down and do a writeup on s5
development progress, which will hopefully clarify things a bit.  While
for several months I was working part time to be able to devote time to
VOS, I am presently working full time again for financial reasons, so
VOS development is squeezed -- even writing email.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]