on 25/10/02 23:43, J Philippe Chaperon at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > Hi Brett, > > I have been working on my brother's new G4 DP Mac - 867 Mhz and can confirm > that the machine is terribly noisy whether on OS X (Jaguar) or OS 9.2. I > guess that in an already noisy environment, such as in a big office, this > would not be such a problem. But in a quiet room it does become annoying > after only a few minutes of working. > > I myself have been planning to buy such a beast, but the noise is putting me > off!! At least for the time being. > > Good luck, > > J Philippe C.
As a user of both Macs and other machines I have to say that Mac users have been spoiled when it comes to how quiet our machines run. When I put together my Athlon XP 1800+ system I was amazed at how loud this thing was. It's got the CPU fan, Graphics card fan, and two case fans. I could have probably done without one of the case fans but I didn't like how hot the machine ran with only one. What I did though was found and ordered a couple of fluid bearing fans for the case fans. I also performed a bit of surgery with my nibbler around the prebuilt places to put fans in the case. The reason I bring this up though is because it should be possible (although warranty voiding and not exactly cheap) to replace the fans in the latest machines with much quieter ones. There's several reports on http://XLR8yourmac.com and in a few forums I participate in of people doing this and ending up with much quieter machines. Apple tends to use Sunon fans and although they work well they aren't known for being quiet.

