Thanks Ray

I ran a hardware test early on in the saga with normal results. 

Resetting the PRAM is something else to do but I would thought a system install 
would addressed those issues. I've swapped the USB ports the kb and mouse use.  
The machine is currently running a zero all sectors process and I'll reinstall 
the OS again tonight. 

I'm hoping Time Machine won't let me down when the comes to rebuild!!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/09/2010, at 7:53 AM, Ray Forma <[email protected]> wrote:

> 
> Tim,
> 
> I have had a similar problem with two different Power Mac G5s, but it 
> occurred when I migrated them from MacOS 10.4 to MacOS 10.5. Also, the 
> machines got to the blue screen just before login, and then stayed there 
> forever with no further audible hard-disk activity.
> 
> 1 After much research and trying different solutions, a run of Apple Hardware 
> Test on the first Mac showed that the problem was a faulty DIMM. Replaced 
> that DIMM and problem solved.
> 
> 2 After resetting the power management unit, and the PRAM, on the second Mac 
> the problem was solved.
> 
> I hope that in your case it is neither of the above because I have no idea 
> about whether a Mac Mini even has a power management unit reset switch, and 
> getting at a Mini's memory is difficult.
> 
> 
> On 28/09/2010, at 11:09 PM, Tim Law wrote:
> 
>> Update:
>> 
>> No good news. 
>> 
>> I restarted my Mac Mini from a Snow Leopard DVD then erased the Mac Mini 
>> hard disk. 
>> 
>> I installed Snow Leopard and the computer appeared to function normally. I 
>> did not load anything back onto the disk from my Time Machine disk. 
>> 
>> I then installed the latest Combo update that I downloaded yesterday and 
>> saved to an external drive. 
>> 
>> Now after restart from that combo update, I have gone back to my starting 
>> problem I.e. When the computer gets to the user login screen, my keyboard, 
>> and the mouse clicks are unresponsive.   I am assuming that if I do a safe 
>> boot at this stage, then it will work properly, but that is not a long term 
>> solution, and I need to go to bed, not spend more time trying to rectify 
>> this. 
>> 
>> 
>> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Ray Forma
> Tel & Fax +61 (0)8 9335 6568
> Mob +61 (0) 428 596938
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> 



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>