Thanks Rob

Bob has responded off list and suggested a reinstall from the latest combo. 
Whilst it didn't resolve the problem it was quite special watching a download 
coming through at 2.5mb per sec on cable :-)

I have also trashed the finder prefs with no result. 

The original owner will look for the original disk but thanks for the 
reassurance about the price of snow leopard. If I buy a family pack I can 
upgrade all the computers.  

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 27/09/2010, at 11:08 PM, Rob Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim,
> 
> Not sure if anyone else has responded.  One solution could be to trash your 
> finder prefs file and then restart or shutdown.
> 
> Look for ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist where ~ is your user 
> folder.
> 
> This solved similar symptoms for me.
> 
> Rob
> 
> On 27/09/10 3:00 PM, Tim Law wrote:
>> Hello,
>> 
>> As per the Subject, I am having problems with the Finder menu and Dock not 
>> functioning at all when booting in normal mode.
>> The system works fine in Safe Boot - holding down Shift key on start up.
>> 
>> I'm running 10.6.4 in a Mac Mini 2.53Ghz with 4Gb of RAM
>> 
>> The problem is that that keyboard and mouse clicks become unresponsive in 
>> normal boot up mode. They work okay in Safe Boot, which indicates to me they 
>> are working fine hardware wise.
>> 
>> Problem arose yesterday when machine wouldn't wake from sleep.
>> 
>> I went through and disabled all the startup items under the user Account, 
>> ran Yasu a system repair utility.
>> 
>> Taking on board the comments from a few weeks ago in the thread:
>> 
>>>> Re: Strange Finder and OS behaviour and some resolutions
>> 
>> I downloaded and ran AppleJack from Single User mode by pressing Command-S 
>> on startup.
>> 
>> The result is unchanged.
>> 
>> When I arrive at the login screen to select which user account - my main one 
>> and a Test account, the mouse cursor is visible and moves around, but the 
>> screen is unresponsive.
>> The same thing happens if I reset the Account Login to automatically log 
>> into my main user account. The system starts up as one would expect, but the 
>> keyboard and mouse clicks are unresponsive - i.e the mouse moves, but there 
>> is no response to clicking.
>> 
>> A forced shutdown is needed by holding in the Power button.
>> 
>> In the WAMUG archive 
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg59872.html  referring to 
>> "Strange Finder and OS behaviour and some resolutions"  the advice from 
>> Ronni was to performa a system reinstallation.
>> 
>> Problem 2:
>> The original system disks are still with the original owner of the Mac Mini. 
>> I "might" be able to contact him and find them, but finding him again is not 
>> so easy. The alternative, I am assuming, is to go buy a new OSX 10.6 disk.
>> 
>> Any other options welcomed!
>> 
>> Thanks
>> 
>> Tim
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives -<http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines -<http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Unsubscribe -<mailto:[email protected]>
>> 
>> 
> 
> -- 
> Associate Professor Rob Phillips
> Educational Development Unit
> Room 4.42 Level 4 Library North Wing, Murdoch University
> [email protected] Phone: +61 8 9360 6054 Mobile: 0416 065 054
> Fellow, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia
> 



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>