On 11/12/2010, at 10:49 AM, Lloyd White wrote:

> 
> Hi everyone.
> 
> I have just upgraded to MS Office 2011 from 2008 version.
> Some of the "improvements" annoy me - like the inability to "tear off" the
> colour palette in Word.  I can't find a way to do this.
> I used this feature a lot for editing and making sections in colour. Pages
> is even worse with this.
> 
> Another gripe is that it will not open any of my files with a / in the
> name. :-((
> 

This is a problem which is not restricted to MS Word, but crops up in many 
third party (non-Apple) products, mainly owing to the fact that the slash 
character (/) is generally discouraged in filenames because of its use as a 
delimiter in POSIX pathnames (eg /MyHardDrive/Users/Library/). Mac OS X deals 
with the slash in a special way, and therefore it is possible to get away with 
it in many circumstances, but certainly not all. I always try to discourage 
users from using it because of the problems it causes. In fact, in many cases, 
even in many highly Mac OS-compliant programs, you will find that the slash 
character is replaced with a dash when the file is actually saved. Try to get 
into the practice of using the dash (hyphen) character or the underscore in 
place of a slash in filenames. 

The only other character you absolutely must not use in filenames is the colon 
(:), but this has always been the case on the Mac, since the colon was always 
used as the delimiter in Classic Mac OS pathnames. Any other character than the 
colon or the slash is legal, which also causes problems if you intents sending 
your file to a Windows user, where the number of legal characters in filenames 
is more restrictive.

> 
> But my main problem is copying -or cutting - and pasting in Word.
> When I copy text and paste it - using the Apple keyboard shortcuts- C and
> V - into a different part of the document or into another document it
> comes out in underlined blue as a hyperlink to the original text. Which
> has to be removed.
> 

I don't know what is happening here. I can't reproduce the problem in my copy.



Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>