Hehe,

Lots of different opinions on this, no doubt ­ it all depends on the
importance of your info and your level of concern/paranoia ­ from the
ultra-conservative:

Time machine backup to RAID+
Bootable Clone to Raid+
Rotating off-site backup+
Cloud storage back-up

All the way down to more streamlined (& economic) solutions!



Personally, I have:

* Bootable clone on external Firewire drive
* Time machine backup to external USB drive (though I use this manually
rather than automatically)
* A Dropbox account ­ at present used more for synching between machines
rather than backup 
* Mobileme iDisk (I haven¹t really decided on the best role for this yet)
* An older firewire 1TB dual drive (2x 500GB) set-up as a 500GB mirrored
Raid ­ I use this mainly for stuff that I want some protection for but loss
would not be a tragedy eg some ripped DVDs and older clones of virtual
machines that I should probably erase but I¹m not quite sure yet!

It really boils down to what is important to you! - and remember that you do
not necessarily need the same strategy for all your data ­ those YouTube
downloads really aren¹t as important as the family photos or the draft of
your literary masterpiece!

Having said that, with the price of storage coming down all the time, for
general use, I tend to think that simple duplication of drives can be more
useful than the complexity of RAID.


Just my thoughts ;o)


Cheers


Neil
-- 
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia
Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
Email: [email protected]



on 7/1/11 6:52 PM, [email protected] at [email protected] wrote:

> hi
> 
> to those who do frequent backups: do you backup your important stuff to raid
> or just a normal external hard drive/portable drive will do it for you?
> 
> i have my stuff backed up to a WD portable drive already, but thinking i can
> ditch that for a raid, but raid is not as portable as my current.
> 
> any advise.
> 
> many thanks!
> 
> regards
> Lynn
> 
> p/s: love my ipad!!!!! cant live without it!
> 




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>