Ah that makes heaps more sense.  The redundancy would actually be quite useful 
since your not accessing those drives very frequently.

Thanks for clarifying

Ruben

> Hi Ruben,
> 
> Maybe I didn’t explain as clearly as I should – the stuff on my raid is not 
> on my computer, or other backups – it’s for stuff I want to keep, don’t 
> access much, not a REAL tragedy to lose – but the mirrored raid gives a bit 
> of redundancy (over a single disc) - it was a good use for the 2x500 dual 
> disc once 1TB single drives became very affordable.
> 
> My main backup is handled by the two-pronged clone/time machine approach.
> 
> I’m still playing with the dropbox and idisk options.
> 
> 
> Cheers
> 
> 
> Neil
> -- 
> Neil R. Houghton
> Albany, Western Australia
> Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
> Email: [email protected]
> 
> 
> 
> on 8/1/11 12:53 AM, Dark1 at [email protected] wrote:
> 
>> Wow that's some pretty serious backup.  I'm not sure why you'd want to 
>> backup to a RAID considering that HD mechanical failure is pretty rare these 
>> days and the chances of both your main drive and your backup drive suffering 
>> a simultaneous failure is pretty unlikely.  Although RAID1 isn't a backup 
>> solution it is pretty much the same as duplication of drives although the 
>> duplication is constantly updated.
>> 
>> Ruben
>> 
>>> Hehe,
>>> 
>>> Lots of different opinions on this, no doubt – it all depends on the 
>>> importance of your info and your level of concern/paranoia – from the 
>>> ultra-conservative:
>>> 
>>> Time machine backup to RAID+
>>> Bootable Clone to Raid+
>>> Rotating off-site backup+
>>> Cloud storage back-up
>>> 
>>> All the way down to more streamlined (& economic) solutions!
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Personally, I have:
>>> 
>>> Bootable clone on external Firewire drive
>>> Time machine backup to external USB drive (though I use this manually 
>>> rather than automatically)
>>> A Dropbox account – at present used more for synching between machines 
>>> rather than backup
>>> Mobileme iDisk (I haven’t really decided on the best role for this yet)
>>> An older firewire 1TB dual drive (2x 500GB) set-up as a 500GB mirrored Raid 
>>> – I use this mainly for stuff that I want some protection for but loss 
>>> would not be a tragedy eg some ripped DVDs and older clones of virtual 
>>> machines that I should probably erase but I’m not quite sure yet!
>>> 
>>> It really boils down to what is important to you! - and remember that you 
>>> do not necessarily need the same strategy for all your data – those YouTube 
>>> downloads really aren’t as important as the family photos or the draft of 
>>> your literary masterpiece!
>>> 
>>> Having said that, with the price of storage coming down all the time, for 
>>> general use, I tend to think that simple duplication of drives can be more 
>>> useful than the complexity of RAID.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Just my thoughts ;o)
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Cheers
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Neil
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>