Hi Jim,

I think that Ronni and her iPad are narrowing down the problem. From your last
reply you do indeed have a MBP 7.1 with outdated firmware. The most recent
version of the firmware is available at the link Ronni sent earlier:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1331

1. Download this firmware by clicking on the Download button on the right hand
side of the linked page. Depending on your settings the install will start
immediately or a file will appear in downloads.

2. If the install does not start immediately, double-click on the file:

~/Downloads/MacBookProEFIUpdate2.0.dmg

3. After a quick self-check a Finder window will open. Double click on the only
file in this windows and let it install itself.
   MacBookProEFIUpdate.pkg

4. Shutdown your computer.

5. Start you computer and wait. It may be some time but wait for a deep
continuous beep that lasts a few seconds followed by a progress bar.

Let us know.

Cheers,
Carlo