Hi Justin,

Thanks for asking me not to stop what I was doing to answer your query. I'm
waiting for a computer to backup before I do more work on it.

Lion should be faster than your previous Operating System, not slower. Only I
would like you to have more RAM - 8GB :-)

Sophos Antivirus certainly slows any Mac down but more so on a Lion Mac. If you
don't really have to have it installed, I suggest you 'Uninstall it'...

A bug in Sophos causes it to greatly slow down Macs running Lion. A large
number of users have complained about Sophos Antivirus slowing down their Mac,
especially in Lion. Some are reporting that this started with an update to
Sophos, others are unsure of exactly when they noticed the slowdowns. One
thing's certain though, if your Mac is slow, and you have Sophos installed,
it's likely that uninstalling it will greatly improve your Mac's performance.

If you still don't wish to uninstall Sophos continue reading ;-)

I presume you did NOT do a ‘Clean Install’ of Lion but did an ‘In-place
Upgrade’ on the same partition as Snow Leopard was installed on.

I also presume you did all the necessary preparations before upgrading to Lion,
(such as updating all your applications to Lion compatible versions, repair
permissions on Snow Leopard, and did a backup).

And you also did the ‘Post-Installation’ tasks (such as allowing Spotlight to
completely finish its Re-Indexing of the HD, running Software Update &
installing all updates, repairing permissions, letting Time Machine do its
initial complete backup).

Did you allow Spotlight to re-index the drive after you transferred from older
MacBook to new MacBook Pro?

If you have done all the above and Lion is running slow:

1. Shut down your computer
2. Boot the computer while holding down the OPTION key, then select “Recovery
HD” and press Return
3. Once booted in Recovery mode, select Disk Utility. Select your Mac HD.
4. Repair Disk
5. Then ‘Repair Permissions'
    It will most likely show quite a number of problems during this process and
repair them.
7. After it is finished, restart your computer.

Spotlight will most likely re-index your drive again … if it does … let it
complete the process without running any other programs.

If you find Lion is still running slow, post back letting us know if it is slow
to boot up, or mainly just slow running which applications.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.4 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)