Hi Ronni, I have downloaded the Pacifist software and in the process of "Loading Pete's Macbook" (ie Macbook Sparsebundle file). I don't have a Thunderbolt to Ethernet connection so I've gotta do it wirelessly (but I just ordered one) so I expect it will take ages to 'Load'. Oh well, hopefully it will present the culprit taking up huge data volume from my TC backup disc. I have stopped routine TC backups for now - nothing to loose.
Whatever is the cause for this I can do one of two things. Either I understand from this exercise what is the cause of this huge data consumption and just leave the sparesebundle alone OR I blow away the sparesebundle and do a complete backup from scratch again and manage the cause of why this all happened so that I can keep the freeboard I had prior to this. Regards Pete > On 7 Sep 2014, at 7:20 pm, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote: > > Hi Peter, > > Time Tracker is free; it is pretty basic but usually works well. It only > shows backups on the current backup destination, though, so if you've got > more than one, you have to select the one you want (if you're using "rotating > backups," it's the set most recently backed-up to). > Time Tracker works by comparing a completed backup you select to the one > before it. > > So if you select a large backup, it’s going to take a while to determine, > calculate, and display the items. > If your backups are on a network, connect via Ethernet if possible. > It will still take a while, but be 2-3 times faster than WI-FI. > > That also means that, after 24 hours, you're not really looking at what was > backed-up on a particular backup, but all the backups since the previous one. > > And you can’t select the oldest backup, since there’s nothing to compare it > to, or one that’s running, failed, or was cancelled. > > The Time Tracker display is similar to a Finder window in "List View" > The dated backups will show 0 bytes until you select one, then the app will > calculate the size, so may take a while. > You can click the disclosure triangles to see the items in that folder that > were backed-up. > > Time Tracker will only show backups on the volume currently selected for > backups (or most recently backed-up to) in Time Machine preferences. > > The recent version of Time Tracker may give you a permissions error on > network backups; if it does, try double-clicking the sparse bundle via the > Finder to mount the disk image. > > Cheers, > Ronni > >> On 7 Sep 2014, at 5:36 pm, Peter Crisp <[email protected]> wrote: >> >> Hi, I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13" 256GB with a 2TB attached external drive >> (currently with around 550GB on the external drive). I have the external >> drive INCLUDED in my TC backups and the backup size (according to the TM >> Options panel) is 659GB. It has been backed up for many months now and >> routinely has been doing the updates hourly per the normal schedule. The >> backup drive is 1TB attached via the USB with a powered hub to the 3TB TC. >> >> I know some might think having only 1TB is small for a machine capable of >> being around 2.25TB (on board Mac Pro drive + the 2TB external) but for the >> moment the held memory is well inside the 1TB limit. >> >> Last night i took a video with my iPhone and then imported it to the MacBook >> Pro to iPhoto. The video file was ~330MB only 2 minutes worth. >> >> Last night I also tried to push the video file up to my Dropbox and it said >> around 1 hour to complete which was fine so I just let it go. This morning >> when I woke up the Macbook, it still hadn't completed and it said it had 10 >> minutes remaining. Then I noticed it commencing a routine backup and I often >> check the size of the backups just to keep a mental track of data backup >> size. The Backup is 174.92GB (yes GB)!! >> >> I was very surprised to see this as normal backups are in the order of ~50MB >> or maybe 1 or 2GB if I have imported some photos but I have never had a >> routine backup this size. >> >> Is there a way that I can interrogate what files are being backed up so I >> can see what has caused this? It will significantly reduce the freeboard I >> had to the 1TB for what appears to be for a meaningless reason. Maybe it was >> the Dropbox activity that's caused this. >> >> Regards >> >> >> Pete >> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- >> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> >> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> >> Settings & Unsubscribe - >> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug> > > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> > Settings & Unsubscribe - > <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

