Hi Pat,

> On 13 Oct. 2016, at 2:08 pm, clamsh...@iinet.net.au wrote:
>
> I have often wondered if it is necessary to change the password on my
> computer; when installing something new, the wifi is on and I am required to
> type in the password to complete the installation. Does this password need
> changing on a regular basis?

No, not unless you need to.

Why you would need to ‘Change' or ‘Reset' your Administrator password?
A) If you thought someone had got knowledge of what your Password is.
Or B) You can’t remember the Password

You can ‘Change the Password’ that you use to log in to your Mac, or ‘Reset the
Password’ if you don't remember it.

The password of your OS X User Account is also known as your login password.
It's the password that you use to log in to your Mac and make certain changes,
such as installing software.

> Pat

Cheers,
Ronni

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS Sierra 10.12