Forgot to mention Peter in previous email - Make sure your son follows closely
and performs the post installation Tasks after running the Combo Update., I
would suspect he missed some of this in his first attempt to upgrade from
Yosemite to Sierra.

Perform Post-installation Tasks:
A) Respond to Immediate Questions
Among the most common questions are requests for your user account password or
Apple ID password. For example, certain apps may once again need an
administrator’s authorization to make changes to your data, and various apps
that use your Apple ID (including iTunes and iBooks) may need you to sign in
again.

Check System Preferences > iCloud to make sure you’re signed in to iCloud (and
with the correct Apple ID). Do the same in iTunes (Account > View My Account)
and the App Store (Store > View My Account).
NOTE:  Make sure “iCloud Drive” in NOT activated! (unless you wish to use it;
you can set it up at a later date if needed)

B) The next thing you should do is to update macOS itself (and any other
crucial Apple software) to the latest version. Sometimes Apple releases bug
fixes and security updates almost immediately after a major upgrade, and if any
such urgent updates are available, it’s in your best interest to install them
right away.

C) Review the Incompatible Software Folder
If the Sierra installer encounters any known incompatibilities, it moves the
problematic software to an Incompatible Software folder and explains what it
moved on one of the final screens of Setup Assistant. (After Setup Assistant
quits, you can find the Incompatible Software folder at the top level of your
startup disk, at the top level of your home folder, or even in both places,
depending on the location of the soft- ware that was disabled.)

D) Deal with Other Surprises
Apple Mail:  The first time you launch Mail, a window informs you that it’s
“upgrading” your mail database. This step should take no more than a few
minutes, and is necessary because the Sierra version of Mail has updated the
database format it uses to store information about your messages.

Mail plug-ins: The first time you open Mail after upgrading, it moves most
incompatible third-party plug-ins (which are normally stored in
~/Library/Mail/Bundles) into ~/Library/Mail/Bundles (Disabled) and displays an
alert telling you what it’s disabled. Don’t try to reenable these manually;
Mail will thwart your every effort to get them working.
Check with the developer to see if a Sierra- compatible update is available.

E) System Preferences Changes:
As usual, Apple added, moved, and renamed a few items in System Preferences.
I won’t do into the changes here, I’m just alerting you to check.