What is this?

+                               if (aKeyState[code] & KEY_RELEASED)
+                               {
+                                       aKeyState[code] &= ~KEY_RELEASED;
+                               }
+                               if (aKeyState[code] & KEY_RELEASED)
+                               {
+                                       aKeyState[code] &= ~KEY_RELEASED;
+                               }
Think it's a mistake I made,it should be:
                                if (aKeyState[code] & KEY_RELEASED)
                                {
                                        aKeyState[code] &= ~KEY_RELEASED;
                                }
                                if (aKeyState[code] & KEY_PRESSRELEASE)
                                {
                                        aKeyState[code] &= ~KEY_PRESSRELEASE;
                                }

Also: This shall not be an "else if"?

+                               lastKeydown = frameGetFrameNumber();

Shouldn't this be "lastKeydown = CurrFrameNum;"?
yes,either should work,though yours might be better and faster.

And: Why can't SDL be used directly? (We just have another layer above the
input...)

--Dennis
I am not familiar with SDL,but I think there isnt a 'working' doubleclick event in SDL.

-Watermelon