From: Ranger Joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: warzone-dev@gna.org
Subject: [Warzone-dev] Upconverting WZ textures
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 07:58:17 +0200

Hi,

I can't seem to be able to register on realtimestrategies.net - I
still haven't got the confirmation email over a period of several
days. So I'm posting here.

In any case, I'd be interested in upconverting any existing
low-resolution textures WZ:Resurrection will be using (from the
original WZ). To test these, however, I would need some help as to
how to best load them up in the game without having to compile the
source code itself. I haven't been able to figure out precisely what
you've done to/with the source code, so I'd really appreciate a small
rundown on the process of getting the modified textures into the game
with the smallest possible amount of trouble.

That is, of course, if WZ:R supports non-fixed texture sizes in the
first place (if it doesn't, it shouldn't be too demanding to add the
support).

I'm figuring being able to jump to any campaign and having all the
techs available would be really helpful as well.

Since most textures seem to be 256x256 pixels in size, I figured the
reasonable upgrade would be to 512x512 and possibly (since there
aren't too many textures in the game) also to 1024x1024. The terrain
textures are 1152x1280 in size, so doubling these wouldn't kill
anyone either on today's hardware. I have no idea why these would
have such a weird resolution. Wouldn't changing them to a power of
two make more sense?

As far as I have observed, the original textures need quite a bit of
work, not just resizing, as they are quite raw and plagued with
low-bit depth, low-resolution aliasing. In fact, I think that's the
biggest problem I had with the game - when the camera came really
close to a building, the visual quality would plummet.

Please let me know if someone is already working on this and, if not,
then how best to go about testing the textures.
noone is working on textures as far as I know.

with 2.0.5rc1+? you can create a folder called 'data',then create a
sub-folder of 'data' called 'textpages' and copy new texture files
there,it'll override the ones in .wz files that comes with
2.0.5rc1.Also you need to change the pie file's texture info
accordingly to use 512x512 textures I think.
Are you sure the pie-files support 512x512 (or higher) because I've read
somewhere that there is a limit to it (256x256 I believe).

@Ranger Joe: it is also important to modify the U/V coordinates in the
PIE-files when modifying the textures.
As for some cheats which might assist in campaign/level jumping:
http://wz2100.net/wiki/user:cheats

PS It would be nice if you (or anyone for that matter) made the textures
as vector graphics. So that they can be reproduced at higher resolutions
without much trouble.

--
Giel