Am Sonntag, 28. Januar 2007 schrieb The Watermelon:
> I checked 3 open-source graphics engine,seems most of them are not suitable
> for warzone:
> 1.OGRE:
> too big and complex,almost every source file is hundreds KBs weight and
> OGRE doesnt provide binaries like other engine,so everyone has to comple
> gfx engine huge lib project first before compiling wz source...
> Staff and Community are very helpful,though I still think it'll take
> forever to understand its tons of pages of documentation...
Best engine I know so far... Using it is pretty easy if you start from
scratch. Probably is more difficult if porting from our engine.
> 2.Irrlicht:
> smaller than OGRE but from I heard it's unstable
Had a lot of ugly glitches, the demos didn't render correctly if they started
or compiled at all. The Staff I asked in the Forums were rather unfriendly
and basically stated that it is somehow my fault. I should get newer drivers,
even though I tried to make clear that I allready was using the newest, and
other questionable reasons why they wont investigate.
> 3.OSG:
> seems it's not designed for a game(too slow)...
4. CrystalSpace:
Used by PlaneShift, seems to be a rather good engine, but at the time I worked
on PlaneShift, it seemed a bit unstructured. May be fixed now that they
reached (API-) stable status and version 1.0.
C++, too and probably not easier to integrate than OGRE...

> Besides the engine-specified problems,the biggest hinderance to using an
> external render engine is the 'plain old C 'of wz,all those 3 engines
> are more or less in a 'Change your codebase to C++ or dont use'
> state,so personally I think fixing exist render engine is more viable and
> easier to do.
That's what we came up with in lenghty discussions on the mailinglist, too.
Clean up and maybe restructure the current engine, fix it's flaws and
limitations (GL spec violations, etc.) and then start to enhance it.

Points to work on:
- Terrain renderer, speed + flexibility, tileset texture size, load tileset
completely instead of chunked.
- Mesh format, use some more common and faster format, OGRE's .mesh seems
good, but I couldn't find much docs about it, besides people saying that it
is good.
- Textures, size, stop them being aligned on texture pages.

I think most of this is allready written in the wiki
(development:future_ideas).

--Dennis