On 3/14/09, Dennis Schridde <devuran...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dump from IRC:
>
>  Use a simple number (int), which we increment everytime we change the netcode
>  in an incompatible way.
>  Use a 2nd number in addition, which we increment if some compatible
>  enhancement happens. (And reset when we increment the major version.)
>  (That is in fact similar to what is done for shared objects on Linux.)
>
>  Since we need to check game data and mods as well, strings seem better for
>  that task. (Simply concat the version strings. Example: "trunk:aiv:ntw")
>  They could be seperated from the netcode version though.
>
>  Proposed constants:
>  NETCODE_VERSION_MAJOR=0, NETCODE_VERSION_MINOR=0, DATA_VERSION="2.2"
>  (With the latter being the one used to concat mod version strings onto.)
>
>  --DevU

After getting all the input, I have made the latest update:
http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/290

We need to get it correct the first time.

Right now, we only check on the version string.  All the other stuff
we send isn't used.

I am also not sure about the time period to wait before we auto kick
someone.  Right now, it is set to 7secs.

Logic is, player joins.  Host sends version request query.  If Host
don't get response within 7 secs, then we auto-kick.
If wrong version string, we auto-kick.
If all is fine, you won't notice anything.