On Thursday, 13 October 2005 at 16:04, Robert Schuster wrote:
> I am sorry if this sounds offensive for you but I think you are too much
> influenced by the idea that a free software projects needs traditional values
> like control.

It's not about control, it's about a direction.

> > But the coding needs a goal, no?
> Does it?
> For whom?
> IMHO nobody is obliged to anyone.

OK, perhaps the coding doesn't need one. But why pubish your code at
all, then?

I think the project needs a goal. (OK, you can get philosophical here
and say "But why can't it just be?") And I assumed this to be somewhat
traditional, where you have (more or less) frequent releases, a homepage
that is (more or less) up to date and answers most questions people
might have, people answering the remaining questions, people writing
code, people reviewing patches from others, all that stuff. A friendly,
welcoming environment, so to speak. Where differences of opinion are not
just stated, but lead to a resolution (more or less) all can live with.

That's what I wanted to work towards. Not "controlling" the project.

But I guess I'm alone with that view.

--
"I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
people waiting to abuse me."