On 10/16/05, Christian Ohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 October 2005 at 16:04, Robert Schuster wrote:
> > I am sorry if this sounds offensive for you but I think you are too much
> > influenced by the idea that a free software projects needs traditional
> > values
> > like control.
>
> It's not about control, it's about a direction.
>
> > > But the coding needs a goal, no?
> > Does it?
> > For whom?
> > IMHO nobody is obliged to anyone.
>
> OK, perhaps the coding doesn't need one. But why pubish your code at
> all, then?
>
> I think the project needs a goal. (OK, you can get philosophical here
> and say "But why can't it just be?") And I assumed this to be somewhat
> traditional, where you have (more or less) frequent releases, a homepage
> that is (more or less) up to date and answers most questions people
> might have, people answering the remaining questions, people writing
> code, people reviewing patches from others, all that stuff. A friendly,
> welcoming environment, so to speak. Where differences of opinion are not
> just stated, but lead to a resolution (more or less) all can live with.
>
> That's what I wanted to work towards. Not "controlling" the project.
>
> But I guess I'm alone with that view.

Not at all.

The homepage should greet people, and encourage people to join up.

If you wish to do this on the wiki, which is I guess our new homepage,
then go right ahead.  I for one would be glad to see someone update
the page with useful info/link whatever is needed.  Most all that you
mentioned above would be nice in the homepage.

As for project direction, guess I will make a new thread about this.