I've reproduced the problem. Another workaround is to add "gem 'watir'"
to the top of the script. I'm trying to understand more about why this
is happening.

As background, Watir 1.6 now "autoloads" firewatir original-watir (now
called watir-ie) or safariwatir based configuration. This is where the
problem is occuring.

Bret