This has just about always happened for me for Watir, it just has not
been a problem until now.  The "[1]" shows up in the name in the popup
box that asks if you want to save the file.  I keep a directory of
files that I install on my computer so I can show some history here.
Watir and FireWtir gems are the only gems that show up with the "[1]"
in the name, but not all of them:

watir-1[1].5.1.1145.gem
watir-1[1].5.1.1158.gem
watir-1[1].5.1.1192.gem
watir-1.5.6.gem
commonwatir-1[1].6.1.gem
firewatir-1[1].6.1.gem
watir-1[1].6.1.gem

firewatir-1[1].0.2.gem
jssh-20060221-WINNT.xpi
firewatir-1[1].1.gem
jssh-WINNT-2[1].x.xpi
firewatir-1.2.1.gem

by removing the "[1]" in the name, I could get Watir 1.6.1 to
install.  I have not had achance to check it out though.

Jim