Lisa,

The problem with your code is that it is specific to both Windows and
IE. Making it work with Firefox on Windows is a medium sized problem,
but it still wouldn't help your developers with their macs. Off hand, I
wouldn't know how to start on getting this work on other platforms.

And yes, these kinds of dialogs are somewhat weird. Few apps use them
today, they are considered poor design. Nowadays developers get the same
effect using "lighboxes" which end up being modal according the strict
definition of "modal", but the look better. And they are fairly easy to
handle with Watir on both IE and Firefox (on Windows and Macs).

Bret