On Jun 3, 2009, at 7:33 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

The CSS3 draft is clearly very incomplete and not ready for primetime, so the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking we should maybe just limit ourselves to an HTML5/IE-compatible implementation.

In other words I'm thinking we should just make <ruby> the only way you can make these things, and not necessarily support the CSS stuff yet. I am concerned about crashes related to crazy interactions of all these new ruby display types (every time we add new display types the render tree complexity goes up, since any element can implement the display type and be put inside any other display type).

For example, I don't even think display:ruby should be the right way to make a ruby in CSS, since a ruby clearly can be either block-level or inline-level. You need two display types and not just one.

How the ruby box model works in CSS is woefully underspecified as well.

For now we could just hardcode the creation of the specific renderers when the tag names are encountered. This has the added benefit of allowing you to make a ruby inline or block by changing the display type. I'd suggest testing in IE in fact to see what happens when you float/position a ruby or when you specifically put "display:block" on a ruby.

dave
(hy...@apple.com)