WebKit enforces a minimum font size of 9px when no explicit font size is
specified.  This means that the font for <rt> cannot fall below 9px if it is
relative to the user agent default.  It may be that we want to consider
modifying this minimum for ruby text and allow it to go below 9px though.  I'm
not sure.

If you make a really big Ruby (e.g., <ruby style="font-size:96px"> and then
modify the font-size percentage on the <rt>, you should be able to see it take
effect.

We should probably just study real-world Japanese examples to see how small
Ruby typically is allowed to get.  If it can go below 9px and still be
readable, we should perhaps consider allowing that.

In terms of excluding Ruby text from the overall line height, I don't think the
font-size of the <rt> is particularly relevant.  You just want to hack the Ruby
to turn the ruby text into overflow rather than having it be part of the
overall height of the inline-block.

dave
(hy...@apple.com)