On Nov 3, 2010, at 8:56 AM, David Hyatt wrote:

> WebKit enforces a minimum font size of 9px when no explicit font size is
> specified.  This means that the font for <rt> cannot fall below 9px if it is
> relative to the user agent default.  It may be that we want to consider
> modifying this minimum for ruby text and allow it to go below 9px though.
> I'm not sure.

Yes, that's probably what I'm seeing. I'm using default font size, which is
probably 12pt.

> If you make a really big Ruby (e.g., <ruby style="font-size:96px"> and then
> modify the font-size percentage on the <rt>, you should be able to see it
> take effect.
>
> We should probably just study real-world Japanese examples to see how small
> Ruby typically is allowed to get.  If it can go below 9px and still be
> readable, we should perhaps consider allowing that.

I'm sure the detailed spec. addresses this issue. I'll review it.

> In terms of excluding Ruby text from the overall line height, I don't think
> the font-size of the <rt> is particularly relevant.  You just want to hack
> the Ruby to turn the ruby text into overflow rather than having it be part of
> the overall height of the inline-block.

Of course. The website I was using has the line height set too tight for
correct display this way, and I just wanted to try a smaller size to see if it
looked better. OTOH, that site loads a style sheet that overrides the ruby text
font-size to 6pt, so I can't easily override it, and its' probably displaying
as 9pt anyhow.

> dave
> (hy...@apple.com)

Regards,