> So are you proposing to use the system allocator on Windows?

I’m proposing a two step process:

(1) Use the system allocator on Windows (and GTK).

(2) If a port maintainer cares to optimize a given port, without too much
disruption to mainline code, they may do so.

FWIW, If I were conducting (2) for Windows, malloc would be pretty far down the
list of things I started porting.

> The current malloc logic has been the source of a number of mysterious
> crashes on Windows, so reverting to the system allocator might be a good
> thing for stability. I don’t know what the potential performance
> ramifications would be.

Yes, I’ve heard that on other platforms as well.

Geoff