Le 2012-03-27 à 19:30, Mike Schrag a écrit :

>>> That is not how Wonder was created and now how I expect that it will
>>> continue.  If you have a problem, learn how to fix it.  Then put it in
>>> Wonder.
>>
>> In the past, we had Apple sponsorship and most of the big additions to
>> Wonder between 2007 and 2010 came from Apple… We don't have that sponsorship
>> anymore, and personally I don't think we will survive if we don't pay people
>> for major stuff. I don't think we will survive anyway, but that's another
>> story…
> Apple funded a VERY small percentage of the contributions to Wonder. Almost
> all of the contributions I made came from mDimension donating their time,
> bandwidth, and hardware for the good of the community. Frankly, if Apple
> hadn't funded the things they did, I would have done them anyway, because I
> just enjoyed making things.
>
> This approach of paying for fixes seems like you're just going to end up with
> a collection of bounty hunters instead of a community. On top of that,
> there's no way you're going to be able to afford to pay the market cost for
> this work. mDimension easily donated a couple hundred thousand dollars of
> time if you applied their real hourly rate to the work. So on top of
> encouraging people to only give if they get paid, they're going to be paid
> crap, so why would anyone even bother?
>
> I really don't think things are stagnant because of the lack of money.
> They're stagnant because the remaining people in the community don't care
> enough to contribute. I don't buy any of the "I don't know how to do X" or "I
> don't have time to do X." You have to want it. I didn't know how to write
> nearly any of what was in WOLips before I started working on WOLips, and
> likewise with Wonder. I learned WebObjects working on Wonder. I'm would wager
> that everyone who worked on Wonder was in the same category. Contribution is
> also positive reinforcement. The coolest times in Wonder for me were always
> when one person contributing got someone else energized to contribute and
> amazing things were made.
>
> The real question is: Who is currently NOT contributing because they're just
> waiting for a payday to do so? If you're perfectly happy enjoying the fruits
> of the community while not giving back to the community, look in the mirror
> for the reason it's dying. Either give a shit, or don't be sad that it dies.

I think reasons don't contribute are:

1) Some just don't care and are leachers. Yes, people you can blame me to
saying that. But anyway, any community are like that, no community have
everyone contributing, it's just plain impossible.

2) People are afraid of contributing. That's one of the reasons of why I added
the "integration" branch in Wonder, and doing a "Contributing to the community"
talk at WOWODC.

3) People don't have time. That's the answer I got from many WO experts. And I
can't do anything about that.

So I really don't know how we can improve the situation…