From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 2:04 PM
Subject: HIPAA privacy and telephone

> I would like the lists opinion on this topic.
>
> Patient comes to the office to have their potassium checked because they
are on a diuretic.  Later, the physician's nurse calls the patient at home
with results but the patient is not home.  Spouse answers the phone.  Can
you tell the spouse that the potassium was fine and that he/she should tell
the spouse to continue the same dose of diuretic and potassium supplement?
If you say "no, this type of disclosure is not allowed", would it matter
that we put a statment in our Notice of Privacy Practices that stated  (in
the section on Payment, treatment and  health care operations) "On occasion,
we call test results to your home and leave the results with a family member
if you are not present".  Now, obviously, we would not do this with a HIV
result but it seems like such a waste of everyone's time to play phone tag
to accommodate the one patient in a million that is actually upset because
you told the spouse what the potassium result was.  Thank you.

> Rich Fairley,
> Dubuque, IA

N-24fSlzbr޲r>yجzjsmz*pyب$Sx?NzXǫ!]z<[
zu+r?z"jYsGSx)h(جr,S?~^r'rvS?nroz{&?zz-S{^
ם?޺ǝjY~Sz(]S z{lz"vr?xojبZY+bT(rz{e>
mmSs⽧2jn)!Sx-w:.z>mkaSb(mz>mf?i.n
+?yب
> +iZzGj)mWsv*kSo^vZ
b0yب<ym칻&nrܺzצj)Zu޲Ȭzmz>mf?i.n+?
yب

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions
on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do
not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If
you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues
Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services.
They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or
unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: archive@mail-archive.com
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org